Japan’s border is mostly closed to visitors from New Zealand.  Visa waiver for New Zealanders is paused.  See 1 below for the limited cases that may currently apply for a visa.   Note that most visa applications will take a while to process.
Most Japan residence card holders with a valid re-entry permit can return to Japan. See 2 below.
Go to this page regarding pre-departure test and quarantine procedures before and after entering Japan.


1. NEW ENTRY VISA CASES (that may currently apply for a visa)
(a) Spouse/Child of Japanese National or Permanent Resident 
Contact your  Consular Office for details.
If you live in the Embassy’s jurisdiction, please see our website.
(b) Dependent Visas
Contact your Consular Office for details.
If you live in the Embassy’s jurisdiction, please see our website.

(c) Work visas (limited categories only)
If you have a “Certificate of Eligibility”(COE) of one of the following categories:

Instructor, Professor, Medical Service

Highly Skilled Professional, Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services
(working in an educational insititute in Japan)

Please prepare the documents below:
  • Passport
  • New Zealand visa(if you are not NZ citizen)
  •  Visa application form   [sample] with one recent passport sized photo (45x35mm) affixed by glue
  • Original CoE plus one photocopy
  • Recent letter from your host company/institute outlining the necessity of your role. 
    (Not required for COE under “Medical Service” category)
(d) Compassionate cases 
Contact your  Consular Office for details.

(d) Diplomats
Contact your  Consular Office for details.



(a) If you have a valid residence card of any kind and a valid re-entry permit (including minashi special re-entry permit), you may return to Japan. See 3 above for quarantine measures.

(b) If you are a permanent resident of Japan and your re-entry permit expired due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please contact your Consular Office, In some cases, you may be able to extend the validity of the re-entry permit.  See our website. If your case cannot be extended, you may be able to apply for a long-term resident visa and change to your original status after you return to Japan. Please contact your Consular Office .

(c) If your residence card or re-entry permit has expired, you may be able to apply for a visa upon obtaining a “Certificate of Eligibility”(COE) from Japan. Contact your Consular Office for details.

(d) If your residence card or re-entry permit has expired and you fulfil ALL the conditions below, you can apply for a visa without a “Certificate of Eligibility”(COE). Please contact your Consular Office .
  • Your residence status category is in the list below
    Artist芸術, Religious Activities宗教, Journalist報道, BusinessManager経営・管理, Legal,Accounting Service法律・会計業務, Medical Service医療, Intra-company Transferee企業内転勤, Entertainer興行, Dependent家族滞在, Designated Activities特定活動(Kokuji-nai, Kokuji-gai), Spouse or Child of Japanese National日本人の配偶者等, Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident永住者の配偶者等, Long Term Resident定住者(Kokuji-nai, Kokuji-gai)
  • You could not return to Japan due to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • There is no change in your previous status.
  • There is no one in Japan who can apply for the COE in Japan on your behalf.
(e) If you are a Special Permanent Resident and need advice, please call Japan 03 3580-4111 
Note about Certificates of Eligibility (COE)
CoEs usually expire after 3 months from the date of issue. However, due to COVID-19, expiry dates have been extended as follows:
Issuance date Valid until
1 Jan 2020 - 31 July 2021 31 Jan 2022
1 Aug 2021 - 31 Jan 2022 6 months from issuance date    


Useful Links

Updates about border restrictions in Japan, please see here.  

• Immigration Japan COVID-19 page:

• Contact details of immigration offices in Japan
• MOFA coronavirus information:

• Border measures:

• Japan National Tourist Organization: 

• The Embassy Facebook page: