Visa Application and Collection  Hours: 
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am–12:00 noon

    Visa Telephone Hours:
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am-12:00 noon only

    (04) 473-1540


    Level 18, The Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street Wellington, PO Box 6340
    New Zealand

Extension of Validity of Re-Entry Permit

July, 2015

A foreigner holding a valid re-entry permit for Japan can apply for an extension of this re-entry permit if they are unable to re-enter Japan during its validity period due to unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or work/study commitments.

Applicants must hold either a New Zealand passport or a valid long-term New Zealand visa (e.g. resident, work, student etc.)
To apply at the Embassy of Japan in Wellington, you must reside in the following regions:
Wellington, Taranaki, Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Manawatu-Wanganui (excluding Ruapehu District) or the South Island (excluding Canterbury).

Residents of other regions must apply at the Consulate General of Japan in Auckland or the Consular Office of Japan in Christchurch.

Required Documentation

  1. Valid passport (if the re-entry permit you wish to extend is in an old, expired passport then you must submit this passport also)
  2. Application to Extend Re-Entry Permit form
  3. Residence Card (在留カード) or Certificate of Alien Registration (外国人登録証明書)
  4. Documents verifying the applicant's inability to return to Japan at this time (e.g. medical certificate stating the applicant is unfit to travel, employer's letter stating the applicant is unable to travel due to work commitments, etc.)
  5. Fee - due when the extension has been issued

Please note:

  • Additional documentation may be required.
  • No documents other than your passport and COE will be returned.
  • Applications to extend your re-entry permit must be made before it expires.
  • Re-entry permits can only be extended for a maximum of one year past the date of expiry.
  • We are unable to extend re-entry permits granted under the Special Re-Entry Permit System (みなし再入国許可)
  • In the case of a passport containing a valid re-entry permit being lost overseas, please see the following link (Japanese only):
  • For further information, please see the FAQ section or contact us.

Back to Top

Legal Matters / About Accessibility / Privacy Policy

Back to top | Copyright© 2012 Embassy of Japan in New Zealand | Legal Matters | About Accessibility | Privacy Policy