Visa Application and Collection  Hours: 
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am–12:00 noon

    Visa Telephone Hours:
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am-12:00 noon only

    (04) 473-1540


    Level 18, The Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street Wellington, PO Box 6340
    New Zealand

Spouse/Child of Japanese National Visa

August 2017

A Spouse of Japanese National Visa is for the legal spouse of a Japanese national to accompany them to settle long-term in Japan. A Child of Japanese National Visa is for the child of a Japanese national who is not holding Japanese nationality to accompany their parent to settle long-term in Japan.

To apply at the Embassy of Japan in New Zealand, Wellington, you must reside in the following regions:
Wellington, Taranaki, Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Manawatu-Wanganui (excluding Ruapehu District) or the South Island (excluding Canterbury).

Residents of other regions must apply at the Consulate General of Japan in Auckland or the Consular Office of Japan in Christchurch.

Please find below a list of the documentation required to support your visa application. For information on how to submit the application, please see our 'How To Apply' section.


Required Documentation

Option A (Recommended in principle)

  1. Valid passport with sufficient space for the visa
  2. Visa application form   [sample] with one recent passport sized photo (45x35mm) affixed by glue
  3. Original Certificate of Eligibility, plus one photocopy*
  4. Visa fee (if applicable) – due when the visa has been issued

*The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. It can be obtained by your spouse or in-laws through the local immigration office in Japan on your behalf.

Option B

  1. Valid passport with sufficient space for the visa
  2. Visa application form  [sample] with one recent passport sixed photo (45x35mm) affixed by glue
  3. A letter from your spouse/parent detailing your reasons for applying for the visa (including such information as reason for travel, intended address in Japan, how you hope to live in Japan, intended work, etc.)
  4. Documents proving your ability to finance your stay in Japan (e.g. bank statements)
  5. For Child of Japanese National visas - Birth certificate / marriage certificate showing relationship with Japanese parent.

    Items to be prepared by your friend/relative/guarantor in Japan:
  6. Evidence of relationship with applicant - Official Family Register (戸籍謄本), original, issued within the last three months
  7. Letter of guarantee 身元保証書
  8. Evidence of guarantor’s occupation and income (certificate of tax payment納税証明書, tax deduction certificate源泉徴収票 or copy of tax return確定申告書控の写し). 
  9. Residential Certificate 住民票

* Visa fee (if applicable) payable when visa is issued. Payment must be by cash when passport is collected.
* If you wish to nominate another person to collect your passport on your behalf, please complete the official authorisation form with your handwritten signature. Your nominated person must provide this authorisation form, his/her official ID, and pay the visa fee (if applicable) in cash at the time of collection.


  • Additional documentation may be required.
  • No documents other than your passport and COE will be returned.
  • Visas with a COE will take a minimum of five working days to be processed. There is no urgent visa service. Other visas will take a minimum of five working days.
  • Even with possession with a visa, final permission to enter Japan remains at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
  • Visas are only valid from three months from date of issue, so applications open from three months before your intended date of arrival.
  • For further information, please see the FAQ section or contact us.

  • Back to Top

  • Legal Matters / About Accessibility / Privacy Policy

Back to top | Copyright© 2012 Embassy of Japan in New Zealand | Legal Matters | About Accessibility | Privacy Policy