Visa Application and Collection  Hours: 
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am–12:00 noon

    Visa Telephone Hours:
    Monday to Friday
    9:00am-12:00 noon only

    (04) 473-1540


    Level 18, The Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street Wellington, PO Box 6340
    New Zealand

Working Holiday Visa FAQ

Q1. I am 30 years old and will be 31 next month. Can I apply?

Yes, but your application must be received before your 31st birthday. The visa will be valid for one year from the date of issue so you may have turned 31 by the time you enter Japan.

Q2. What kind of jobs to supplement my travel funds can I do while on a working holiday?

You may do almost any job on a part-time basis as long as the job does not contravene Japanese law regulating businesses offering food and entertainment or affect public order and good morals. For example, some bar work or hostess work will not be allowed.

Q3. How long can I stay in Japan with a working holiday visa?

The visa is valid for up to one year. It is a one-time only opportunity and it is up to you whether you wish to return home after 3-4 months or spend one year in Japan.

Q4.  Is there a quota or best time to apply?

There is no quota limit or designated time of year to apply. Anyone who is eligible may apply for a working holiday at any time.

Q5. What are the requirements for a working holiday visa?

Please see the eligibility criteria. Note that your main purpose is to have a long term holiday to travel around Japan. Therefore, your stay programme must show as much detail as possible of all the places you would like to visit and the activities you would like to engage in. It is not for the purpose of full-time work. You must also have sufficient funds, as you may only work part-time if you can find a job in Japan.

Q6. What is the difference between a work visa and working holiday visa?

A work visa is for the purpose of going to Japan to live and work full-time. See work visa application information.
A working holiday visa is for a long term holiday travelling around Japan. You may work part-time to help fund your holiday.

Q7. I am a New Zealand citizen but I am currently residing in Australia. Can I apply?

No. the guidelines require that all applicants must reside in New Zealand at the time of application.

Back to top | Copyright© 2012 Embassy of Japan in New Zealand | Legal Matters | About Accessibility | Privacy Policy