Extension of Validity of Re-Entry Permit


In some specific cases only, a foreigner holding a valid re-entry permit for Japan can apply for an extension of this re-entry permit if they are unable to re-enter Japan during its validity period due to unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or work/study commitments. Please contact your jurisdictional office to check whether your case can be extended.

Applicants must hold either a New Zealand passport or a valid long-term New Zealand visa (e.g. resident, work, student etc.)
To apply at the Embassy of Japan in Wellington, you must reside in the following regions:
Wellington, Taranaki, Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Manawatu-Wanganui (excluding Ruapehu District) or the South Island (excluding Canterbury).

Residents of other regions must apply at the Consulate-General of Japan in Auckland or the Consular Office of Japan in Christchurch

Required Documentation

  1. Valid passport (If the re-entry permit you wish to extend is in an old, expired passport then you must submit this passport also. It must be a standard re-entry permit sticker.)
  2. Application to Extend Re-Entry Permit form
  3. Residence Card (在留カード) or Certificate of Alien Registration (外国人登録証明書)
  4. Documents verifying the applicant's inability to return to Japan at this time (e.g. medical certificate stating the applicant is unfit to travel, employer's letter stating the applicant is unable to travel due to work commitments, etc.)
  5. Fee - due when the extension has been issued


  • Additional documentation may be required.
  • Applications to extend your re-entry permit should be made before it expires.
  • Re-entry permits can only be extended for a maximum of one year past the date of expiry.
  • If your re-entry permit was granted under the Special Re-Entry Permit System (みなし再入国許可) on your disembarkation form such as the sample below, we cannot extend it.