Visa & Certificate Top


Visa Application and Collection Hours:
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 12:00pm
1:30pm - 4:00pm

Visa Telephone Hours:
Monday to Friday
9:00am - 12:00pm only

Phone: (04) 473-1540

ATTN: CONSULAR, L18 The Majestic Centre, 100 Willis Street, Wellington New Zealand 6011
(PO Box 6340, Wellington 6141)

Jurisdiction area map


Japan has closed its borders to visitors from New Zealand and almost all visa applications are not being accepted at the moment. Please check our IMPORTANT NOTICE RELATED TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS

Visa Telephone Hours : 9:00am-12:00 noon only

See right-hand side bar for visa information.

Please note that phone call enquiries regarding visas must be made in the morning between 9:00am-12:00noon. You may also email visa enquiries to:

Make sure you contact the office that has jurisdiction over your area (Click the map above for details).

Information / Notice

  • Visa HotLine for foreigners visiting Japan (24 hours/7 days a week, English only):0800 039 832 -This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas.
  • We are closed on some Japanese national holidays, Saturdays, Sundays and New Zealand national holidays. Please see here for a list of our public holidays.
  • Be aware of fraudulent websites, social media, emails in an attempt to extract payments from visa applicants (06 July,2017)
  • If you have a criminal record, can you visit Japan?
    Not all crimes will affect entry into Japan. Crime types that are deemed serious enough to prevent entry into Japan can be found here. If your record includes these crimes, you can expect that your entry into Japan will likely be denied by Japanese Immigration.
  • Dear travelers to Japan: It is recommended to take an overseas travel insurance.
    • An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
    • Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
    • It is recommended to have an overseas travel insurance with travel support for hospital referrals medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.

Visa & Certificate